Quality without compromise
With a standard 50mm angle of view and a large aperture of f/1.8, the RF 50mm F1.8 STM provides a perspective that’s close to human vision – ideal for portrait photographers capturing beautifully natural looking images in a wide range of shooting scenarios. Featuring a brand-new optical system, the RF 50mm F1.8 STM’s large aperture and PMo aspherical lenses achieve high image quality even at the maximum aperture, with better separation between the subject and background, allowing photographers to shoot in low light. The RF 50mm F1.8 STM has a minimum focusing distance of 0.3m, 5cm closer than the existing EF version, allowing objects to be photographed even closer with a shallow depth of field. The 7-blade circular aperture – inherited from the EF 50mm F1.8 – can be used for a defocused background or foreground, as well as beautiful bokeh. The RF 50mm F1.8 STM also features Super Spectra Coating technology, creating a harmonised colour balance which reduces ghosting and flare, as well as aberration.
The RF 70-200mm F4L IS USM features additional improvements such as Air Sphere Coating, four Ultra Low Dispersion (UD) lenses, and a reduced focusing distance from 1m to 0.6m, demonstrating Canon’s ongoing commitment to developing enhanced image quality for lenses in the RF range. Even at full zoom range, with its 9-blade iris and constant f/4 aperture giving superb bokeh, the RF 70-200mm F4L IS USM provides photographers with incredible detail. With the ability to catch stunning images at all zoom ranges, the RF 70-200mm F4L IS USM’s improved image quality provides sharp edge-to-edge photos. Photographs can be taken in crisp, sharp quality using both these new lenses at their maximum aperture, ideal for portrait photographers capturing subtle facial expressions or others wanting to frame precise details on smaller subjects.
RF 50mm F1.8 STM Key Features:
- STM Motor
- Wide f/1.8 aperture
- Aspheric lens element
- RF mount
- Super Spectra Coating
- Focus / lens control ring
RF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Key Features:
- f/4 constant maximum aperture
- Dual Nano USM focusing motor
- L-series quality
- UD elements and ASC coatings
- 5-stop Optical Image Stabilizer and 7.5-stop combination IS when used with the EOS R5 and EOS R6
- Dust and water-resistant seals
- Lens Control Ring
Canon Adds Two RF Lenses And PIXMA PRO Printer Ideal For The Enthusiast Photographer
MELVILLE, NY, November 3, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is excited to introduce the compact and lightweight RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM and the RF50mm F1.8 STM, two completely re-designed RF mount lenses with bloodlines to immensely popular EF models that feature new lens formulas and enhanced elements. Canon is also introducing the PIXMA PRO-200 printer, which is ideal for photography students and graphic designers.
“As Canon began to further build out the company’s RF lens portfolio, the goal in mind was to create advanced lenses, for a variety of experience levels, that also featured a sense of familiarity for longtime Canon users,” said Tatsuro “Tony” Kano, executive vice president and general manager of Canon U.S.A.’s Imaging Technologies & Communications Group. “Canon prides itself on being able to uniquely offer both input and output solutions to our customers. We are equally excited to see the images captured with the new lenses, and the prints that are to be created with the new PIXMA PRO-200 printer.”
Canon RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM Lens
The Canon RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM lens is ideal for photography enthusiasts ranging from advanced amateur to professional skill levels. The compact and lightweight nature of the lens makes it Canon’s shortest and lightest 70-200mm F4 zoom lens to date. This RF lens is approximately 32 percent shorter and 11 percent lighter than its EF counterpart with a large portion of the lens element arrangement closer to the camera body. This arrangement is designed to provide photographers with a more balanced feel and experience even at the zoom range’s telephoto end. Additionally, the shorter and lighter design allows the lens to more easily be stowed away in a camera bag when not in use.
The RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM features two independent Nano USM motors, providing an even greater level of high-speed autofocus for still image shooting as well as quiet and smooth autofocus for video shooting. The lens also incorporates a floating focus control that drives the two lens groups individually while using the two aforementioned Nano USM motors. The floating focus lens element shortens the focusing distance and helps reduce breathing, providing users with fast, consistent and reliable performance.
Additional Features of The Canon RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM Lens Include:
- 16 lens elements in 11 groups, including four UD lenses, that help to reduce chromatic aberration
- Optical Image Stabilizer with up to 5 Stops[i] of Shake Correction
- Up to 7.5 stops[ii] of Shake Correction with coordinated control of Optical Image Stabilizer and In-Body Image Stabilizer
- Three stabilizer modes
- Customizable control ring that allows photographers to adjust exposure compensation, shutter speed, aperture, or ISO
- 12-pin communication system
- L-Series dust and weather-resistant build with a fluorine coating
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.97 feet and a maximum magnification of 0.28x
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) that helps minimize lens flare and ghosting
Canon RF50mm F1.8 STM Lens
Creatives love using a 50mm lens because that focal length is similar to the natural viewpoint of the human field of vision. This perspective allows for the lens to be used in a wide variety of shooting situations, including portraits, landscapes and food photography. What’s more, Canon 50mm f/1.8 lenses have long been a popular tool for both photographers and creators due to their budget-friendly price point, extremely compact and lightweight form factor, and versatility.
The tradition continues with the RF50mm F1.8 STM that, in many ways, is improved over its EF counterpart. The first visually noticeable improvement is the customizable control ring that has become synonymous with RF lenses. The control ring allows photographers to adjust exposure compensation, shutter speed, aperture, or ISO and with a flip of the side switch can adjust focus. The inclusion of a PMo aspherical lens helps to reduce chromatic aberration and provides high-image quality even at the periphery of the image. Additionally, the combination of the lens shape and Super Spectra Coating (SSC) helps to minimize ghosting and flaring.
Additional Features of The Canon RF50mm F1.8 STM Lens Include:
- Six lens elements in five groups
- 12-pin communication system
- Minimum focusing distance of 0.98ft and a maximum magnification of 0.25x
- Up to 7 Stops[iii] of Shake Correction with EOS R Series cameras with In-Body Image Stabilizer
Canon PIXMA PRO-200 Printer
Continuing a long history of high-quality input to output digital imaging equipment, the PIXMA PRO-200 printer is 15% smaller than its predecessor, the PIXMA PRO-100. With the ability to print up to 13 inches x 19 inches and featuring improved ChromaLife 100+ dye-based ink, the latest PRO printer helps to create prints that are more representative of the original digital file. A helpful tool of the trade for photographers who print work for themselves and graphic artists or photography students working on their portfolios from their homes, the PIXMA PRO-200 printer also features:
- A new 3-inch LCD screen to help users set up the printer, connect to WiFi, monitor ink and paper levels for an improved user experience
- New Skew Correction feature, which automatically corrects shifts the paper may encounter during printing
- Professional print and layout software, which can work as a stand-alone program, or integrated into Adobe® Lightroom® or Photoshop® as a plugin to work within a photographer’s workflow, to help take the guesswork out of making great prints
- Vast media support to print on a variety of surfaces such as Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster and Premium Fine Art Rough, as well as the ability to print longer panoramic images in comparison to previous models
Pricing and Availability
The Canon RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM, and RF50mm F1.8 STM lenses are scheduled to be available in early and mid-December 2020 for a suggested retail price of $1,599.00 and $199.99, respectively*.
The Canon PIXMA PRO-200 printer is scheduled to be available later in November 2020 for a suggested retail price of $599.99*.
For more information, please visit usa.canon.com.